Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I have a short hair dog who sheds terrible. Does anyone know of anything that will help him shed less?

He had mange when I adopted him from our shelter and I had him treated for that. He's a mixture of bulldogs and terriers I think.I have a short hair dog who sheds terrible. Does anyone know of anything that will help him shed less?
Healthy diet and regular brushing.



That's all you can do.



Short-haired dogs shed more than people think. Twice a year they shed even more.I have a short hair dog who sheds terrible. Does anyone know of anything that will help him shed less?
Plenty of regular grooming to get rid of the dead hairs and a good diet.
brewer yeast tabs with garlic, fleas hate it too. IMO
Add some olive oil to your dogs food. worked great for me.
Diet and grooming are very important. Also, have him checked by the Vet to make sure his mange problem has been corrected thoroughly. Some dogs have mange when they get stressed and it is not contagious. Stress can occur from poor diet, too.

Consider gradually switching your dog to a wheat and corn free diet. I feed mine Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice, or Duck and Potato for variation. Sometimes Fish and Potato. These blends have an atypical meat source that tends to be well tolerated. Also, they don't have any wheat, corn or artificial coloring.

In addition, I add a Fish Oil Capsule (with Flax oil as well in it) approved by my Vet. Then I sprinkle a bit of Brewer's Yeast on top. This combo is GREAT for their coats. In addition, I add a raw egg to their diet, crack it in a bowl first to be sure it is not bad. They get this twice a week.

When I bathe my APBT, I use a bathing mitt that grabs loose hair. There are many bathing accesories like this which are for the purpose of helping remove loose hairs.

All these things together should make for a great coat and great skin condition, but any time you switch food be sure and do it gradually.
Other than a good diet, you can get a good brush and groom him daily.

This is an excellent one: http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=36
There is a new ';procedure'; out that vets or groomers can do that removes their undercoat and prevents them from shedding. You have to do it every few months, but I don't think that it is too terribly expensive.
Just brush him as often as you can. He will enjoy your company and you will enjoy not having dog hair on your rugs
Good food.

Daily brushing with a hound glove, rubber curry brush, or zoom groom.

Skin and coat supplements such as Lipiderm, anything containing fish oil, omega fatty acids, etc.



Good foods to try:

Artemis, Merrick, Innova Evo, Canidae, Wellness, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold, Health Extension, Professional, Orijen.

No comments:

Post a Comment