Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Are women with short hair making a statement?

My wife has pretty short hair (about 2 inches) and a female friend also with short hair said that women with short hair are making a statement. They are saying they are strong and don't follow the rules that men make for them. My wife just cut it short so she can comb it in a minute instead of taking 20 minutes to do it before she goes to work. Granted my wife is a strong woman but I don't think every woman with short hair is making a statement.Are women with short hair making a statement?
No. Most women I know who have short hair, have it that way because it's easier to take care of and doesn't take long to fix in the morning, doesn't has to be washed every single day, etc...women with short hair aren't trying to stick it to the men, it's just easier for them to deal with.Are women with short hair making a statement?
Some women are, and others are not, just doing it because it's more convenient.





Lesbians will often cut their hair very short as a way of expressing their masculinity, but many women get tired of taking care of long hair as they age and opt for much shorter haircuts.





How would having short hair make one strong? Didn't Samson have long hair? Short hair on a woman isn't about being strong, but it's a way to rebel against femininity and the social perception that women should have long hair. By making themselves appear more masculine as seen by traditional gender roles, they are confirming the Lesbian Feminist view that being feminine is a sign of weakness and inferiority, but it is a weakness to think one's sex is naturally weak and inferior.
I have shorter hair and the only statement it makes is that I prefer hair that's easier to manage. Besides, I have extremely fine, straight hair. If I grow it long, it's so weighed down that it looks limp without mass amounts of products to fill it out. Shorter, there's actually life to my hair without gunking it up. Besides, it's healthier since there's less stress on the roots.





Why should women having short hair be a political statement?
Have to disagree that long hair is necessarily harder to maintain. It doesn't take long to wash and brush (certainly not 20 minutes to brush!) if you wear it natural and unstyled. Short styles can need a lot more attention.





It's slightly absurd to suggest that all women with short hair are 'making a statement' though. Some women have faces that suit shorter hair, some - as you say - do it for the convenience, and I'm sure plenty more do it for their own reasons.
I think some are, maybe, but most are probably doing it for reasons of practicality or fashion. It IS a lot of work keeping up with long hair, after all, and there are a lot of really nice shorter styles that take far less time to style. Most short-haired ladies seem to just do it because they want to and like it rather than to be all ';in your face'; about how strong and independent they are. Perhaps your wife's friend is one such lady who wishes to make a statement.
';men make for them';. That shows where her ideology lies, deep in the heart of whacko feminism. How do men make women wear long hair?





It sounds like your wife is practical, whereas your friend is insane. Although to be honest, your wife isn't as efficient as she should be. With 2 inch hair she shouldn't even have to comb it at all. And anyone who takes 20 minutes to comb long hair just isn't trying.
I think for most women it is probably convenience. I would wear my hair shorter than it is for choice, but my husband really likes it long, so I keep it just below shoulder length which seems a reasonable compromise. I used to have it waist length when I was young but it was a real pain to keep it tangle free. My husband still regrets that it isn't still that long though.
Nah, its just a new trend. I have long hair, I don't plan on cutting it but I don't grow it for any reason, its just cheaper if I let it grow long. Women with short hair are pretty sexy though, and it's a trendy look for business women. Fashion motivates this, nothing more.
Believe it or not, not every guy in the world likes long hair. Some like short hair on women. I think with the right facial structure and features it is cute. And it's a lot, lot easier to deal with. I would cut mine short if I looked good that way. I don't - your wife is lucky.
In my case, I have shorter hair because of my age. Short hair looks better on older women than long hair does. There's nothing attractive about seeing gray hair that drags down a woman's face and emphasizes her sagging chin line. Older women with short hair often look more youthful than those with long graying hair.
I never really thought that even the length of the hair has statements whether for the men or women... Anyway, the choice of the hairstyle still depends on the shape of the face... I mean, not all types of hairstyle may look good on you, right?
For me I just have short hair because a) it's ridiculously easy to take care of and b) I like the way it looks on me.


As for 'making a statement'---I can't speak for other females but for me that certainly didn't cross my mind.
My hair is quite short (down to my chin at this point, but it was about a centimetre shorter when I last had it cut), mostly for utility reasons. Long hair takes too long to air-dry and is generally more difficult to maintain.
She individually may be making a statement but I don't know anybody who thinks about what statement their next hairstyle should be...most people style their hair based on what appearance they like.
My mom has short hair because my dad doesn't like long hair on women.





I, on the other hand, have long hair because my husband prefers long hair on women.
Probably no,





because i'd make my hair short too if it didn't make me look ';manly';.





But on some women it just looks better if short.
No it just easier to take care of in the morning. Just comb in place and off you go.
NO, its just easier to manage.
  • ojon
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment